Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Opposition to the euro rising in Poland

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Poland – At a time when Croatia has just switched to the euro – specifically, on 1 January 2023 – and with significant price increases being observed as retailers are taking the opportunity to “round up” their prices, a survey was conducted in Poland by the IBRiS Institute for Radio ZET to find out whether Poles are presently in favour of adopting the European single currency as well.

64.2 percent of Poles are against Poland switching to the euro

The survey’s results are very clear. When asked whether “Poland should adopt the euro instead of the Polish zloty”, only 14.7 percent answered with a clear “yes”, and 9.8 percent said they “mostly agree”. This means that only a total of 24.5 percent of Poles are now in favour of introducing the European currency in their country. On the other side, 49 percent are clearly against adopting the euro, and 15.2 percent would prefer not to adopt the single currency, which gives a total of 64.2 percent of respondents preferring to stick with the national currency. 11.3 percent did not express an opinion.

The rejection of the euro is almost unanimous, at 97 percent, among voters of the United Right (the PiS-led coalition currently in power in Warsaw), while opposition supporters are divided on this issue, with 44% for the euro and 43% against. This is in spite of the intentions of the opposition parties, and in particular the two liberal ones – Donald Tusk’s Civic Platform, and Szymon Hołownia’s Polska 2050, which both openly support a quick adoption of the European currency.

In May 2022, “only” 51.9% of Poles were against the euro

As Do Rzeczy points out, Polish opposition to the euro has grown strongly since last year, when a similar question was asked: “Should Poland change its currency from the zloty to the euro? ”

At that time, among those in favour (38 percent in total) 15.8 percent thought that Poland should join the eurozone as soon as possible, 18.4 percent thought that it should wait between 3 and 5 years before taking this step, and 3.8 percent thought that it should wait at least 10 years. Those opposed to the European currency were 51.9 percent, with 10.1 percent undecided.